Rick Dipper

Default Core drills

What I did was hire one for half a day, cuts the cost down a bit. The drill they give you weighs a fair bit, so take care choosing where to drill.

Don't forget, that once the "middle" is through, you have to go round the ther side and drill back.

Rick

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:10:17 +0100, "David Hearn" wrote:
I want to put a clean hole through a cavity wall which has render on the
outside (and tiles on the inside!) for a tumble drier outlet as having the
window open whilst drying is making the kitchen very cold at this time of
year.

I guess a core drill would be the way to go (as opposed to drilling,
chipping out bits of brick manually). I've a basic 500w mains drill which I
think may not be enough for this sort of thing (or am I wrong). Also, the
cost of the core drills are quite expensive. So - I thought about hiring
one. Quick look on HSS's website says £38 + VAT for a day's hire (or £47.50
+ VAT for a weekend). This seems quite expensive for what should
(hopefully) be less than 30 minutes use.

So - any other suggestions/ideas? Anywhere I may hire this cheaper from?
Are there cheap core drills out there which I may be able to use my 500w
drill to do just one single job and then throw (the core drill) away?

Is it possible to make a neat hole through render for this purpose without
using a core drill? I'm happy to do it manually just drilling and chipping
away at bricks - but I don't want to damage the render by doing this.

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.