Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Two different ends of the gas elbow

On Feb 19, 8:24*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip

Honestly, every plumber I know uses teflon tape.

If a plumber showed up at one of my projects with Teflon tape in his
kit, he'd be shown the door. Same thing for a finish carpenter with
Plastic Wood in his toolbox. Sign of a competent journeyman is using
the best, not 'quickie' materials.

I know there's other
stuff available, and I'm sure it works, but were does this stuff come
from all of a sudden that "nobody used teflon tape"?

It comes from plugged gas valves, faucet strainers with bits of Teflon
tape stuck in the screens, and in other trades, failed engines with
bits of Teflon tape stuck in oil passages.

Hell, use old-fashioned pipe dope for that matter. It all works.

But the Teflon filled variety is much better.

And another thing: what's the big deal about the "correct" tape for gas
(the yellow stuff)? Again, maybe it's better, but everywhere I go I see
white tape on joints in gas piping. And none of it leaks.

If you had a detector similar to those used for Freon, you'd find
that, indeed, it does leak, although not to a critical extent. Local
gas company here apparently not using it, so it may not be universal.

Joe