Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default PEX Tubing For Home Usage; Basic Questions On ?

krw wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:20:36 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:31:04 -0500, Bob
wrote:

Hello,

Re PEX plastic piping for home usage.

Looked at several sites on, but still have a few basic questions,
please:

a. Just how "popular" is this stuff ? When used, or specified ?

Very. New construction, mostly.

b. Compared to Copper piping for home usage, is it generally more
expensive or cheaper ? If more, why is it used (at all) ?

Evidently it's a lot cheaper. Otherwise it wouldn't be used.

c. Good for hot as well as cold service ?

Yes.

d. Would you use it in your home, or still prefer Copper ? Why ?

Personally, I hate the stuff. I'd rather sweat copper than mess
with it. I have it in this house and hate the stuff.

Pros and cons, etc. ?

Small jobs are a PITA, compared to copper.

BTW: what's most common in new homes these days that do use
Copper; type k, l, or m ? On "older" (e.g. 25-30 yr)homes ?

My bet is 'k', only because of cost. I'd use 'l', but only because
the cost of materials isn't my primary motivator. Labor is a far
bigger issue and the labor is the same. I'm using 'l' for air in
the garage and shop.

'k' is not common. 'm' is the light stuff most commonly used, IIRC.

Now you got me thinking... I just checked the stuff I'm using. It's
marked "Type 1/2" L" in blue. IIRC the cheaper red stuff is type K.
The box stores sell a *lot* of it because it is somewhat cheaper. Do
I have that backwards?

The cheap stuff is type M. "K" is thicker than "L".