Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default To sell or keep

On 02/19/2010 08:21 PM, Bill Noble wrote:
don't sell them over the internet because you will get commodity prices
not gallery prices - sell at a venue where people expect art and can
handle and examine the item - don't sell in a venue where your item is
mixed in with 10,000 others of varying quality. A furniture store is
good if you don't have a gallery - or a lamp store, or somewhere that
people go looking for the "feel" of stuff that is like what you make,
whatever your style.

I never thought much about the price differential on the internet, but I
don't see how internet vendors have time to keep up with the back end
stuff like photographing your work, uploading it, editing the web pages
to reflect the current status of pieces, etc. Who would have time to
turn? g

I sell through a local shop. Mostly to tourists in the summer, but
they're open all year so a few pieces go out in the winter, especially
around Christmas. Sometimes I sit back and wonder where my work is now.
Could be anywhere. Probably most is in the US somewhere, but some may
even be overseas. I get a certain satisfaction knowing that somehow.

I get a certain satisfaction going to the bank too...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska