Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
Bod[_2_] Bod[_2_] is offline

Default Two different ends of the gas elbow

On 20/02/2010 02:24, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/19/2010 2:48 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

In the US, where I am. Natural gas is a low enough presure, that the
folks I work with coat the external (male) threads with a bit of
Rectorseal #5. We do not use teflon tape on gas threads.

Who is this "we" of whom you speak?

Honestly, every plumber I know uses teflon tape. I know there's other
stuff available, and I'm sure it works, but were does this stuff come
from all of a sudden that "nobody used teflon tape"?

Hell, use old-fashioned pipe dope for that matter. It all works.

And another thing: what's the big deal about the "correct" tape for gas
(the yellow stuff)? Again, maybe it's better, but everywhere I go I see
white tape on joints in gas piping. And none of it leaks.

Sheesh.

The yellow tape (for gas fittings) is thicker. The white is for water.
The reason is, that the white tape can suffer from osmosis, in other
words, the gas can slowly permeate through the tape.
It is only a very,very tiny leakage and probably almost undetectable
by sniffing, but that's the reason.

Bod