Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the trick to replacing rechargeable batteries please?

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
Usually on the battery case or tool spec if not the individual cells.

Let me repeat this... The capacity printed on the cell is its nominal
capacity. It is NOT the capacity of that particular cell. Individual
cells can sometimes differ 20% or more from this value -- usually on the
low side.

And you think makers of low end tools care about this?

It's important to match the capacity of nicad and NiMH cells, because
they have a very abrupt cutoff. This means that one cell can drop way
low, while the other cells are at a voltage high enough to continue
powering the device. If you let the device run long enough after this
point, the weak cell will drop to zero volts, then reverse, possibly
causing it to leak or explode.

Despite having used re-chargeable batteries from long before they became a
domestic item, I've never known one to explode. But then I've always
insisted on decent chargers.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.