Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Two different ends of the gas elbow

On Feb 19, 9:24*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/19/2010 2:48 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

In the US, where I am. Natural gas is a low enough
presure, that the folks I work with coat the
external (male) threads with a bit of Rectorseal
#5. We do not use teflon tape on gas threads.

Who is this "we" of whom you speak?

Honestly, every plumber I know uses teflon tape. I know there's other
stuff available, and I'm sure it works, but were does this stuff come
from all of a sudden that "nobody used teflon tape"?

Hell, use old-fashioned pipe dope for that matter. It all works.

And another thing: what's the big deal about the "correct" tape for gas
(the yellow stuff)? Again, maybe it's better, but everywhere I go I see
white tape on joints in gas piping. And none of it leaks.

Sheesh.

- a Usenet "apology"

I tried Rectorseal for the first time this week replacing my brittle
PVC greenhouse sprinkler system with galvanized and PEX. No leaks
first time and easier to apply than tape.

Jimmie