Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Two different ends of the gas elbow

On Feb 19, 4:46*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 19, 12:43*pm, "john bently" wrote:

Just replacing the kitchen gas hob for a new one. It comes with a
right-angled pipe (an elbow), one end of which goes into the hob and one end
into the copper supply pipe.

The *threaded* part of one end of the right-angled pipe is about 4mm longer
than the threaded part of the other end.

Would it be the *longer* threaded part that goes into the hob or the
*shorter* threaded part?

Since I was supplied with a rubber washer to go into the hob connection
joint, should I use gas tape on both the threaded ends of the right-angle
pipe. * * Thanks for advice.

Sounds like an elbow I have. The long side probably has a tapered
diameter and the other side has a constant diameter. If so the tapered
side screws into the black pipe and the other connects to the *hob.
Picture would help?

Jimmie

Ooops, left out connects to hob via flexible pipe. Anyway it sounds
like the long side of the fitting is for iron pipe and the other for
flexible copper tubing via a compression fitting or a flare fitting.
This may mean the elbow was either intended to connect the supply to
the flexible copper pipe or the hob to the flexible copper pipe.

hope this helps

Jimmie