Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorbell Question

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:44:09 -0800, Kate wrote:

hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 18, 11:24 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:44:23 -0800, wrote:
My home is 11 years old, and it came with a battery-operated doorbell
which has worked great, but now it needs replacing.
I noticed when I took the old push button off by the front door that
there is a red and a white wire behind the button. Does this mean the
house is wired for a wired doorbell? The back door area has the same
colored wires.
No, those are for the furnace, or possibly phone service. Where'd you
get the crazy notion that wires behind a doorbell button might be for
a door bell?
Hi,
Quit playing silly games. You are too old for that.

Look for a transformer mounted on the suface of an electrical junction
box, maybe on the basement ceiling, that would be athe power supply
for the bell. And, you could brush the wires together and see if you
hear a doorbell ringing somewhere in the house. Can you se anything
that looks like a bell?

This is what is so mind boggling. I don't have a basement, and I can't
find the junction box anywhere.

I will brush the wires together to see what happens.

Many thanks!

Very often the transformer is right at the electrical service panel,
and the chime wire is often centered above the frond vestibule closet
door - quite possibly papered over with the wire tucked back.