Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Doorbell Question

LouB wrote:
Kate wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Kate wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 18, 11:24 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:44:23 -0800, wrote:
My home is 11 years old, and it came with a battery-operated
doorbell which has worked great, but now it needs replacing.
I noticed when I took the old push button off by the front door
that there is a red and a white wire behind the button. Does
this mean the house is wired for a wired doorbell? The back door
area has the same colored wires.
No, those are for the furnace, or possibly phone service. Where'd
you get the crazy notion that wires behind a doorbell button might
be for a door bell?
Hi,
Quit playing silly games. You are too old for that.
Look for a transformer mounted on the suface of an electrical
junction box, maybe on the basement ceiling, that would be athe
power supply for the bell. And, you could brush the wires together
and see if you hear a doorbell ringing somewhere in the house. Can
you se anything that looks like a bell?
This is what is so mind boggling. I don't have a basement, and I
can't find the junction box anywhere.

I will brush the wires together to see what happens.

Measuring for voltage may help even if it doesn't ring. I think most
doorbells used 24VAC power. It's probably disconnected, but who knows.

I have an electrician friend who will be here in two weeks, so I will
probably have to wait until he gets here. I am not giving up though,
and hope to figure it out myself.

Thank you!

It is possible the original system was wired and died (meaning the
transformer/bell failed) and was "fixed" by installing the battery
powered bell(s). If that happened then brushing the wire together will
get you no info. What's wrong with replacing the battery or another
battery system?

I hope that is not the case. The battery operated units don't have the
Westminster chimes that I really like. The chimes on the battery units
aren't great, but I may have to live with it.

Thanks.