Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default What is the trick to replacing rechargeable batteries please?

Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
On Feb 19, 2:17 pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
I often wonder why people don't call the manufacturer first. Is it that
difficult?

I would contact iRobot and ask them what the recommended procedure is.

Thanks for that everyone: I will try it.

Obviously no one calls iRobot for this question. they just want to
sell their expensive batteries. The last thing hhey want is to advise
on how to take the battery compartment apart. They even go to the
length of putting special screws on it to prevent anyone taking it
apart (using a triangular headed screwdriver: Has ANYONE ever come
across that on any other unit of any type whatsoever?)

Yes, it's common to prevent people who don't know what they're doing
from hurting themselves and suing the company. Certification agencies like
UL make a distinction between things that require a tool to open
and relax requirements in those areas. But people are idiots,
so vendors use fasteners that require uncommon tools to protect
them from themselves.
Your post suggests that you need that protection, but you're insisting
on learning the hard way.

REMEMBER THE SAFETY GLASSES.

I'd send you a picture of the battery pack that exploded after I
"fixed it" but it exploded so violently that I never found most of it.
The hot electrolyte spots on my glasses was my learning experience.