Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Hold my beer & watch this ...

On Feb 19, 3:02*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Another update.

Here's a short video of it spinning up to 10,700 rpm (some pucker
involved the first time I did this). *My previous post said that it spun
up "smoothly" & it was quoted cause smooth is relative. *Well, it really
is smooth & here's a video with a jigger of water sitting on the motor
(wmv file, 1.2MB, 10 sec):http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/MotorVibe.wmv

I let it run 10 minutes & checked the temp (with my finger tip
thermometer) - the warmest part was the closed end bearing & it was just
a little warm. *After another 10 minutes the bearing was a little
warmer. *And after 45 minutes it wasn't much warmer than after 20. *Note
that the fan did not stall & was doing its job nicely. *The case was not
noticeably warmer.

After 15 minutes, the current had *dropped* from .35A to .25A & the
speed increased from 10,690 to 10,715. *To me that means that there was
less friction in the bearings as it warmed. *By 45 minutes, it hadn't
changed any more.

I keep referring to the 45 minute mark cause that's as far as I got
before my camera battery ran out (it's not a video camera, but a stiil
camera that has video). *I'm going to try to find another camera, so
it's not over yet.

Bob

This is far & away the most interesting stuff I've read in this group
in many years. Thanks.