Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bassdiva bassdiva is offline

Default Monkey Puzzle tree

In the UK you see Monkey Puzzle turnings occasionally, usually done big or
tall as in a vase shape to show off its variety of colors and grain. I
think its a bit like turning Pine. And usually turning it wet gives you the
best cut. I think I have only seen it finished with oil, and I believe it
can have a lot of resin in it.
We turn a lot of sycamore over here, I usually buy it in plank form and
store standing on its end unlike most other woods that I store flat and
stickered. If good quality it should be a nice even grain, almost white in
colour that will change to a yellowy cream over time. Usually cuts nicely
but if it has been dried too fast in a kiln can go soft and feathery and be
a right pain to cut and get nice. Cuts like butter when wet, but will split
if left too thick. It can also get a silver grey coloring through the grain
that makes it look dirty. But if its spalted it can look spectacular.
Good luck
Hotfoot.