Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default mechanical zero on a small meter

On 2/18/2010 3:00 PM klem kedidelhopper spake thus:

So the problem is that I don't know if after I touch this thing if It
is totally discharged and it is really at zero or if static
electricity has influenced the position of the needle. This simple job
is really driving me nuts. It is very dry in the house and I'm sure
that this may have something to do with it, but I just don't know how
to compensate for this.

Obviously it is important that my adjustment is correct as there is no
access to it once the unit is re assembled. Can anyone offer any
advice?

I think you alluded to the answer yourself when you pointed out that the
house is very dry: take the meter to a more humid environment, which
should cut down on that annoying static electricity.

- a Usenet "apology"