Posted to rec.woodworking
Russ Stanton Russ Stanton is offline

Default Cherry Bookcase Finished

I have had really good results with General Finishes Arm-R-Kote and Seal
Kote They wipe on nice and do a great job of enhancing the grain.
"Sonny" wrote in message
Looks great, though I can't see it in full color... my old monitor is
about to give out... new one on the way.

The grain seems to be well visible. I've understood an oil or oil
based finish enhances the grain on cherry. I've delayed work on my
cherry entertainment center, because of cold weather, and I'm
interested in the grain being well seen. I haven't tested any
finishes, yet. I was initially thinking of applying BLO as a first
coat, for that grain enhancement, but with further research, I'm
thinking maybe not, after all. BLO might not be the best first-coat
finish, since it seems to darken on other woods I've finished
(blackens on old cypress). So I'm looking for an alternative and
still get good grain visibility and also retain good cherry color,
after final finishing (sprayed lacquer is the plan). Would a sprayed
oil poly, topped with lacquer, be better/best? I've never built a
major piece, as this, using cherry, so working with cherry is a bit
new for me, this way.

Sonny