Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Cherry Bookcase Finished

On Feb 18, 6:01*pm, Sonny wrote:
*Looks great, though I can't see it in full color... my old monitor is
about to give out... new one on the way.

The grain seems to be well visible. *I've understood an oil or oil
based finish enhances the grain on cherry. *I've delayed work on my
cherry entertainment center, because of cold weather, and I'm
interested in the grain being well seen. *I haven't tested any
finishes, yet. *I was initially thinking of applying BLO as a first
coat, for that grain enhancement, but with further research, I'm
thinking maybe not, after all. *BLO might not be the best first-coat
finish, since it seems to darken on other woods I've finished
(blackens on old cypress). *So I'm looking for an alternative and
still get good grain visibility and also retain good cherry color,
after final finishing (sprayed lacquer is the plan). *Would a sprayed
oil poly, topped with lacquer, be better/best? *I've never built a
major piece, as this, using cherry, so working with cherry is a bit
new for me, this way.

Sonny

I've never used that combination of finish, however I have used tung
oil followed by poly. I think I am getting very lazy with finishing
these days. I just whip out the spray gun and fill with poly. Pain-
free finish with nice results.