Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor Radon is the problem..

On Feb 18, 8:04*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Feb 18, 8:49*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

And let's inject a little reality here, too. Radon is not the mass killer that
many people seem to think it is. According to the EPA, there are about 21,000
deaths per year from radon-induced lung cancers -- 86% of these among smokers.http://www.epa.gov/radon/healthrisks.html

The odds of a NON-smoker dying from radon-induced lung cancer (approximately
2,900 deaths per year in the U.S.) are lower than the odds of dying from:

- accidental poisoning (27,531 -- only 43 of which were infants or toddlers)
- falls (20,873)
- Parkinson's disease (19,566)
- homicide (18,573)
- aortic aneurysm (13,238)
- viral hepatitis (7,250)
- intestinal infections (6,639)
- accidental suffocation (5,912)
- being injured on the job (5,298)
- being hit by a car while on foot (5,021)
- anemia (3,996)
- accidental drowning (3,579)
- peptic ulcer (3,323)
- fire/smoke (3,109)

http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/data/nvsr/nvsr57/nvsr57_14.pdf

All true but is does make for good entertainment during home
inspections and closing negotiations. *In NJ 4.0 pCi/L is the standard
threshhold number written into purchase contracts. *Below that and the
buyer lives with it, above that and the seller fixes or provides a
credit. *Of course all of this is negotiable but 4.0 is the usual
starting point. *I think mine was found to be around 7 during the
inspection. *Last test I did had it below 2.

For anyone else in NJ the DIY test kits that you mail in have an extra
NJ specific fee for the Peoples Republic of NJ.- Hide quoted text -

Is that because the results are mailed into the state for some sort of
record-keeping. What if you have a friend over the border in NY or PA
mail the results in for you?G