Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Technics RS-TR255 Cassette Decks

On 2/18/2010 8:30 AM William R. Walsh spake thus:

If it's not engaging in the recording mode, have you checked to be
sure the record prevention safety switch is doing its job?

There should be a small arm that senses whether or not the erase-
protection tabs have been removed from the cassette. If the switch or
optical sensor attached to this arm aren't working, the deck will
refuse to record on a tape.

I don't think that is it: the record-enable switch will (generally, on
every cassette deck I've seen) make it impossible to even engage the
deck in record mode at all. The OP's description seemed to indicate that
the deck would engage when play+record were pressed, but would then
immediately shut off as if at end-of-tape, suggesting some other problem.

- a Usenet "apology"