Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Monkey Puzzle tree

Gerald Ross wrote:
Anybody here ever try turning wood from a Monkey Puzzle tree? Sycamore?
I have dibs on some wood from both and was wondering about any likely
problems.

Don't know about monkey puzzle, but sycamore is nice. There are three
different families of trees referred to as sycamore. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sycamore for details. What I usually think
of when I hear sycamore is the wood that rulers are made of. Looks a
lot like maple but with a more pronounced ray pattern.

I turned some spalted sycamore I got from a guy in Florida a few years
ago. It was quite nice...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska