Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Dealing with saw dust while hand sanding

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
Mount a "floow sweep" port to the end of your work bench with your dust
collector attached. On the opposite end of the bench mount a fan blowing
towards the floor sweep port.

When I get down to 220 grit I think a fan would just blow those fine
particles all over my basement. I don't have a closed in workshop but just
a portion of my basement dedicated to woodworking just like most people in
this group probably have.

Someone had the idea of taping the hose from my shop vac to my wrist.
Sounds kind of kinky but worth a try I guess. It would be easier to use
that a 4" hose to my dust collector!

Doing this for 30 years I have finally got the solution but you want to hand
sand so you have to settle for second best. I used to use a PC SpeedBloc
finish sander and it would quickly raise a cloud of dust fast. Typically I
would situate myself between a fan and the open garage door. If you are not
immediately containing the dust you are going to get a build up of dust
eventually.