Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mag light corrosion (some metal content)

"Erik" wrote in message
I've noticed elevated temperatures seem to greatly
accelerate corrosion
in batteries of every description... like leaving
flashlights, or
storing spare batteries in the car and/or in the
influence of other heat
sources.

CY: yes, heat does that.

For the record, I live in earthquake country and
personal experience
through the years has convinced me that wading
through debris in the
dark isn't fun anymore.

CY: I can imagine that. Strap on head lamp is a
good idea.

I have two Mini Mag's I've declared mission
critical, and dedicated to
quake emergency use only. One is between the
mattresses at the foot of
the bed (along with a good size white painted crow
bar). The other is in
a drawer near the front door. Both can be easily
located by feel in the
dark, and are placed so they can't roll or tumble
away.

CY: That sounds like good preparations. Please
consider adding a head lamp to your earthquake
lights.

To prevent corrosion 'surprises' I replace the
batteries in both every
two years, and have my Google calendar set up to
automatically remind
me. Both lights are also dated with PostIt tape as
a back up.

CY: What brand of battery do you like?

Of course I also have several other various lights
scattered around for
general use, including a robust little 'Pulsar'
LED keychain light with
momentary squeeze switch... perfect for quick
peeks, and finding a
'real' light should push ever come to shove. The
momentary switch works
extremely well at preventing accidental pocket
activations. Had it for 6
or 7 years... replaced the batteries twice IIRC.

CY: i have squeeze lights on the zipper pulls of
my emergency bags. Wh ich remidns me, I've got to
replace the squeeze lights one day soon.

What I'd like is battery technology that will
(economically) allow
flashlights and the like to be stowed corrosion
free, long term in
warm/hot environments... like car interiors.

CY: Not economical, but I wonder if the Energizer
lithium batteries do well in hot climaes?

Erik