Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mag light corrosion (some metal content)

Have had the same with name-brand cells in AA
Mini-Maglites. Only
there, the switch "cookie" at the end that the
reflector depresses
when screwed in to turn it on disintegrates, turns
to gray powder.

CY: Not sure what you mean.

Maglite sells switch kits with the tool to remove
the old one and
install the new for a couple of bucks plus
shipping, you can get just
about every piece on any of the flashlights from
the company as
spares. Prices are pretty reasonable, too.

cY: I just screw the lens head off, pop the bulb
out, and pull the switch apart with my finger
nails.

Very nice when the cap
gets chewed up from being dropped or the lens ring
gets dinged. Not
enough room in a Mini-Maglite to put a protective
plastic sleeve in
around the battery stack.

CY: Mine, the Rayovac rechargables are loose
enough to rattle.

Have had to make up a midget slide-hammer
puller to get batteries out of them after one
leaked, really messy
job. Once the switch is out, it's just a tube and
regular nylon bore
brushes with some vinegar gets the crap out, then
a whirl with some
wet or dry gets the thing shined up for next time.

CY: Sounds like good cleaning. I didn't think of
bore brushes, though I've used pipe cleaning
brushes like for copper pipe soldering.

Stan