Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default PEX Tubing For Home Usage; Basic Questions On ?

Bob wrote:

Hello,

Re PEX plastic piping for home usage.

Looked at several sites on, but still have a few basic questions, please:

a. Just how "popular" is this stuff ? When used, or specified ?

Very popular, particularly now that copper prices are very high and
contractors have figured out how to crimp the fittings properly. Being
flexible and in long rolls, PEX reduces the number of joints to
potentially leak, is faster and easier to install, and is cheaper.

b. Compared to Copper piping for home usage, is it generally more
expensive or cheaper ? If more, why is it used (at all) ?

It was more when it first came out, but contractors were starting to
adopt it due to the speed and ease of installation. With copper prices
today it is cheaper and you'll find few if any homebuilders using copper
unless it's some high end house and the owners insist on copper for some
unknown reason.

c. Good for hot as well as cold service ?

Yes. Also used in radiant floor heating systems.

d. Would you use it in your home, or still prefer Copper ? Why ?

I would use it for new construction or any significant remodel. If I'm
just doing a repair or slight change to existing copper I'd stay with
copper.

Pros and cons, etc. ?

Not many cons these days. In the early days the cons were expensive
crimping tools, and general lack of familiarity with PEX. Now there are
fairly cheap crimp tools available and PEX has been around long enough
for people to be familiar with it.

BTW: what's most common in new homes these days that do use Copper;
type k, l, or m ? On "older" (e.g. 25-30 yr)homes ?

New today, if you can find anything new done in copper will probably be
M since it's the cheapest. Older installations will likely be L since
it's more durable, particularly in hard water areas. I doubt you'll find
K anywhere but commercial installations.