Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Outdoor Radon is the problem..

On Feb 17, 7:15*pm, "john"
wrote:
I've been trouble-shooting for 3 years my radon problem...but just recently believe
the problem is outdoors and not indoors.

I have an electronic radon monitor that updates reading like every 30 minutes...i've
had it as well for about 3 years.

Basically I've sealed everything a 100% indoors for the most part... the foundation
was completely sealed of cracks... thick radon plastic on top...and vinyl flooring on
top of that..

I realized when I had the windows closed for an extended period of time, the radon
levels would eventually fall.. *(especially during the winter when the ground is
frozen and there is snow everywhere...like it is right now)

During the Spring, Summer, and Autumn...if I opened the windows...the radon levels
would slowly increase in the house instead of decrease.... I was pretty baffled by
this, so I put the entire electronic monitor outdoors instead of indoors....and the
levels remained the same or even rose a bit.

This convinced me that the problem is outdoors and not indoors... I live in the
Mountains *(Pennsylvania)

And over the 3 year period the numbers generally averaged from 4.0 to
8.0...indoors... but never really got above 9.0 . * (currently , since the ground is
frozen...the indoor level is 1.9)

So my next question is...what to do now ? * I even put the electronic radon monitor
outdoors on the 2nd deck *(elevated)..and the number were about the same there as
well.

So in general, my outdoor radon levels average around 4.0 to 6.0 for the most part...
(the 8.0 I mentioned above was an indoor reading dooring the summer)

The house was built in 1992... I bought it in 2005.

any advice is appreciated

john

How do you know the meter is correct and calibrated.