Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default Mag light corrosion (some metal content)

On Feb 17, 4:08*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I recently had a battery corrode in my black
4D cell Mag light. Old style bulb, if that's
relevant.

The 4D mag light by my front door was dead. I
managed to get the tail cap off (two big pipe
wrenches) and find the bottom battery had
corroded. Brand new battery, Endurance, from
Advance Auto Parts. After considerable scrubbing
and sanding, the light works again. I'm leaving it
in peices over night to dry. Then load up with
four Rayovac cells, and a shot of grease on the
tail cap threads.

The 4D mag is my "grab and go" light, in case I
need to go some where in a hurry.

It was only happy coincidence that I found the
corroded battery. Might have been there for
years, if I'd not needed the light for a bulb
test.

Since that time, others have told me that
batteries
corrode only in D cell mags, and typically the
battery next to the tail cap. Has anyone else
had this happen? Is it a common problem?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I've lost a couple AA Mag lights that way and so have my friends.
Don't remember the brand. I am have some problems with Sam's Club
Members Mark AA's leaking and corroding things.
Karl