Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Trestle

On Feb 18, 1:11*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 17 Feb, 21:26, NT wrote:

I've never really been a trestle sort of person, but am thinking about
making some.

What for? *Makes a big difference.

Hi Andy

I'm kind of in idiot mode at the moment on this. Other than sawing
wood I dont yet know what I could do with them.

Best "portable handyman" trestles I've found are the Lidl ones. Steel,
foldable, 7 quid.

For timber framing I use huge great heavy things. 6x4 timber and
upwards. Sets of three or four are useful, not just two.

If you just make each one slightly longer than the others, they'll
stack far more easily than most of the other complicated ways of doing
it.

Nice one... perhaps 2 the same length but differing leg positions to
allow neat stacking.

Three legged ones are useful for stability, but hard to make
strong and stable.

That's got me thinking if there's some way a 4 legger can be shifted
into 3 leg mode.

Construction should be simple and screwed-on
plywood sheet gussets braces better than any complicated joinery you
might have time for. It's well worth making the top spine from deep
timber and keeping all the steel fastenings at least a saw-blade depth
beneath this. That way you can cheerfully saw right through your
trestles! It doesn't cause as much wear as you'd expect and it saves a
huge amount of time.

right... what sort of depth would you recommend? I really am very
deprived of trestle experience. Cost of materials isnt really an
issue.

thanks, NT