Posted to alt.home.repair
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Trap Door from living room into basement

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:21:12 -0800 (PST), terry
wrote:

On Feb 15, 7:39*pm, "WW" wrote:
"caledongrl" wrote in message

On Feb 15, 2:24 pm, Tony wrote:

caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have been searching all over the internet to find a design for a
trap door. My basement/crawlspace is only 5'10" high. I was not
allowed by the township to have a full basement ( I live in a very
highly regulated area)

That's the weirdest regulation I've heard in a while. What is the
reasoning?

Does it have a concrete floor or can you dig it deeper by hand?

It is a strange regulation I agree. However, we are in a very
restricted area in terms of building - the area is protected land.
Because this is a second house on the property, when I renovated I
could not "expand" the living area. Previously there wasn't any
foundation or basement. By putting in a basement, they classify that
as "increasing the living area". *I was pushing it by having such a
high crawl space! It is simply bureacratic BS.

When we were looking for land to build on it had regulations that you must
have 90% blue grass, no TV antennas, no clothes lines, cannot leave garage
door open except for entering or leaving with vehicle. We bought elsewhere.
Bought on a hillside that overlooks the city, and overlooks 3 mountain
ranges. So glad the restrictions caused us not to purchase the first place.
ww

So much for the land of the free and the brave?
Wondering if anyone ever challenged those regulations as being
unconstitutional?

By what argument. You're not required to buy there.

A particularly stupid regulation in this day and age with concerns
about energy consumption/conservation etc. is 'no outside clothes
lines'!

Neighbors don't want to see your undies. If this were something that
changed *after* you bought, it might be something to be ****ed about.

The post also mentioned a) Blue grass; a variety which is particularly
susceptible to cinch bug! b) Not leaving garage door open except when
entering/leaving with a vehicle! So the garage never gets aired out;
judging by what gets stored in my garage and a couple of garden sheds
that door would be opening and closing fairly frequently. Mower, snow
blower, wheel barrow, couple of pedal bikes, some spare siding for the
house, during the summer the extra weights one puts in the vehicle for
better winter traction; in winter the extra set of summer tyres/
wheels. The chain saw and other garden tools; etc. etc.
Guess we just wouldn't fit in; eh?

Well, my table saw got dibs on the garage (no basements here). ;-)