Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Trestle

On 17 Feb, 21:26, NT wrote:

I've never really been a trestle sort of person, but am thinking about
making some.

What for? Makes a big difference.

Best "portable handyman" trestles I've found are the Lidl ones. Steel,
foldable, 7 quid.

For timber framing I use huge great heavy things. 6x4 timber and
upwards. Sets of three or four are useful, not just two.

If you just make each one slightly longer than the others, they'll
stack far more easily than most of the other complicated ways of doing
it. Three legged ones are useful for stability, but hard to make
strong and stable. Construction should be simple and screwed-on
plywood sheet gussets braces better than any complicated joinery you
might have time for. It's well worth making the top spine from deep
timber and keeping all the steel fastenings at least a saw-blade depth
beneath this. That way you can cheerfully saw right through your
trestles! It doesn't cause as much wear as you'd expect and it saves a
huge amount of time.