Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washable Electrostatic Furnace Filters - Use While Wet?

On Feb 17, 2:56*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/16/2010 8:59 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

I was looking at one of these "permanent" furnace filters at the Borg
the other day:

http://www.webproducts.com/Detail.bok?no=37

My question:

After you rinse one of these can you put back in while it's still wet
or should you keep a spare "regular" filter on hand while the
electrostatic one dries out?

Dunno, but funny thing: just today I helped a client who had washed out
his electrostatic filter units and couldn't figure out how to get them
back in. But these were the real McCoy, part of a Honeywell
electrostatic unit--you know, like with 20,000 volts and all.

How do these so-called "electrostatic" filters even work? There's no
source of electricity, so they must depend on some kind of static
charge. I can't believe they can be very effective.

That's what I was wondering as well. Bottom line is whether these
filters really have some benefit or are just using the alleged
electrostatic feature as a marketing hype, hoping people think they
work like the real thing.

In any case, if I were using them, I'd probably let them dry out, at
least most of the way before putting them back in. Seems that
wouldn't be hard to do if you clean them 2X a year when the ambient
temps are appropriate.

By the way, the real electrostatic units held just an incredible amount
of filth. Really black crap. (They hadn't been cleaned in a while.) So
they really work. And since they weren't quite dry, I advised my client
to dry them out first before putting them back in (we used a hair dryer).

- a Usenet "apology"