Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default Best wood floors in dry climate?

On Feb 16, 6:45*pm, Chris Shearer Cooper
wrote:
I live in Colorado, and a few years ago had a bamboo floor installed
in my kitchen and living room, and have been very disappointed.
Despite the whole-house humidifier attached to the forced air heating
system, the "planks" (is that the right word?) contract in the winter,
and then kitchen debris finds its way into the cracks, and we end up
with ugly black lines where the planks touch.

I live in Fort Collins.

I have over 1000sf of bamboo.

My HVAC system has a Honeywell steam humidifier that runs at 41%, year-
round, BUT will dial down the RH below 32*F, to prevent window
condensation.

My bamboo floor has had NO problems, whatsoever.

I would tend to agree with the notion that your product wasn't
appropriately acclimatized to its new environment.

But ... what RH are you running, and ... how consistent is it??