Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Mag light corrosion (some metal content)

Completely dead non-rechargeable batteries will generally always leak (and
those with manufacturing defects, prematurely dead).
With all the advancements in common batteries, apparently not much attention
has been given to making them completely leakproof.
I'm aware that most brand name cells guarantee their cells won't leak, but
I've never bothered sending any damaged items in for repair or replacement.

My trusty 20+ year old Brinkmann which uses 2 AAs just had a bad case of
leaky alkaline cells recently. I suspect the head rotated in the toolbox
enough to turn it on and kill the batteries completely dead, then they
leaked badly.

There was so much leakage and corrosion that the cells wouldn't push out
until I put vinegar in the body tube and let it soak for maybe 2 hours, then
forced them out with a hardwood dowel rod.

After cleaning up the damage and crystaline crap, I found out that one of
the brass contacts for the bulb pins had corroded away.
I could probably make a new conact from a small cable connecor contact or
other small part, but I just bagged the parts and put 'em in a box.
I have enough good flashlighs that I shoulda retired the Brinkmann years
ago. I kept using it because I'd put one of the Nite Ize 3-LED conversion
lamps in it.

In C or D cell flashlights, there is often enough oversize in the I.D. to be
able to wrap some plastic film around the batteries to form a barrier (that
thin clear stuff sold as page protectors for 3-ring binders). That may
minimize the housing damage if the leak is in the center, and it's
discovered soon enough.

I generally always use the plastic film wrap just because I don't like the
batteries rattling in the housing, which generally causes changes in the
level of light output (although I use Caig DeoxIT grease/paste on all the
contacts and housing threads).

--
WB

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I recently had a battery corrode in my black
4D cell Mag light. Old style bulb, if that's
relevant.

The 4D mag light by my front door was dead. I
managed to get the tail cap off (two big pipe
wrenches) and find the bottom battery had
corroded. Brand new battery, Endurance, from
Advance Auto Parts. After considerable scrubbing
and sanding, the light works again. I'm leaving it
in peices over night to dry. Then load up with
four Rayovac cells, and a shot of grease on the
tail cap threads.

The 4D mag is my "grab and go" light, in case I
need to go some where in a hurry.

It was only happy coincidence that I found the
corroded battery. Might have been there for
years, if I'd not needed the light for a bulb
test.

Since that time, others have told me that
batteries
corrode only in D cell mags, and typically the
battery next to the tail cap. Has anyone else
had this happen? Is it a common problem?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus