Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default Computer power consumption

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message

snip

Okay to kill the power totally to all the other peripherals, but
leave the computer itself plugged in. Plus, you want it to be turned
on overnight at least once a week - especially on Patch Tuesdays, when
Mickeysoft tries to plug all the holes.

I just let it run, they seem to live a whole lot longer that way. So
it costs a few pennies a day, big whoop.

It took me a couple of weeks before I managed to stop the bloody thing
waking me up when it felt like it, so no, thanks. It can jolly well patch
when I tell it to. It's not just MS that wants to run when it pleases -
others seem to want to do so, too.

The worst was the Window Media Cent It was waking up every morning doing
its thing and because the software was loaded wrong in the factory, there
was no way to access it. After spending two hours on the phone with HP
support I had to re-load the whole thing including all the programs I put on
myself. I was not best pleased.

I guess you buy cheap crap you gotta expect these things. I would not have
bought it if were not for the good reviews.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC