Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default 90 amps for electric car charge!

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:26:16 -0800, "Bob F"

On Feb 16, 11:00 am, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:

You have a choice. In his hypothetical case of several homes sharing
a transformer, you can either design for worst case or ignore it.
The latter could very well result in the transformer overloading
and the homes being without power.

As with any other big addition of power using equipment, you let the
power Cc. know what you are doing (By getting a permit?) The
transformer problem is then their responsibility. At least that was
what I was told when I added a hot tub years ago.

You're the first residential user that I ever heard of that notified
the power company because they were installing a hot tub. In the
rest of the residential world, no one is keeping track of what loads
get added. You put in a 200amp service and that's the end of the
story. If you need more capacity, THEN you call the electric company
and upgrade to 300amps.

So no one you know gets an electrical permit when adding a major circuit?

No.