Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Stow,Ohio

Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/16/2010 4:55 PM, Steve wrote:

I had a very different experience in that, generally, problems were
dealt with by the students themselves with faculty oversight, and
disciplinary actions ranged from short-term loss of some privilege (most
common) to dismissal from the school (for a rare "honor" violation). I
think it worked as well as it did/does because the students insisted
there be /no/ daylight between "the way things should be" and "the way
things are" - and absolutely everything one might do was subject to peer
review. It took some years for me to recognize the courage that demanded
of both teachers and administrators.

The population body from which that school was drawn does not reflect
anything close to what is the typical public HS student body these days,
particularly in larger metro areas. I suspect given the inner city
school population of today the model wouldn't work so well...