Posted to rec.woodworking
Denis G. Denis G. is offline

Default Would adding a 5 or 10 gallon portable tank to my compressor behelpful?

On Feb 14, 2:52*am, blueman wrote:
I have a $99 (on-sale) Harbor Freight 10 gallon compressor that I have
been really satisfied with for my home-hobbyist use -- it has more than
paid for itself many times over.

I was wondering though whether I could effectively increase its capacity
(at least for short intervals) by attaching one or more 5 or 10 gallon
portable tanks to it.
Would this give it the *effective* capacity of a larger tank allowing me
to have a longer burst capacity? (though filling the combined tanks
would obviously take longer)

Any issues with doing so?

You might also consider "duty cycle" for your system -- it relates to
resting time for the pump or electric motor allowing them to cool. If
you exceed the duty cycle you could overheat the motor and burn the
insulation or overheat the compressor pump and oxidize the oil, etc.