Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme[_2_] eclipsme[_2_] is offline

Default Veneering

I am about to make new cabinets for the kitchen. I am thinking of all
drawers for the bottoms, with the drawer fronts being applied veneer.
Each bank of drawers would come from the same veneer piece with the
grain running vertically so the grain will be continuous. The veneer
will be glued onto the substrate with a vacuum press.

My problem is that I have rather limited experience with veneering and
have a few questions.

What kind of veneer would be appropriate for this? Should I use
paper-backed, 2-Ply veneer or something else? I am thinking that I would
purchase 4x8 veneers.

I will be using glue-backed tape for the edges. Will the paper in the
paper-backed veneer show along the seem with the tape?

Which would be better for the backing - MDF or Birch ply? I think for
doors I would use MDF, but for drawer fronts do I need the extra
strength of ply?

Am I correct in thinking that it would be best to veneer full sheets of
plywood before cutting?

I will also need to veneer some end panels on the cabinets. The carcass
will be made of 3/4 birch. Do I really need to veneer both sides of
these panels?

Are there any sites you would especially recommend - or books for that
matter?

Thanks for the pointers,
Harvey