Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alabama professor shot her own brother also 20+ years ago

On Feb 16, 3:21*pm, "David R.Birch" wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
And the real question is with the current laws, how did this person
get a gun?

Maybe it had something to do with her not having been charged with or
convicted of a crime?

David

And why does that make a difference?

As I said, this is a prime example of background checks need to be
more extensive.

An example...

Years ago I used to have a neighbor who had severe anger management
problems...a real *******.

The guy liked to drink and loved guns.

I was the only neighbor that could deal with his behavior...and did
for many years...partly because I knew his parents/childhood had been
a major reason for his behavior.

One day he decided to go crazy mad ...on my driveway..and to this day
I have NO IDEA what set him off.

Finally I had to call the cops...in front of him.

At that point he decided it was best to retreat to his house.

At that point I told the 911 operator to hold off sending the cops.

A neighbor who witnessed this unfold still tells me to this day he
expected me to be shot dead by the end of that day.

Now I can tell you that person has NO BUSINESS owning a gun...but he
has many of them.

But there is no arrest or conviction on his record so he continues to
own and can buy guns.

If tomorrow I heard that one of his neighbors/family members had been
shot by this person, it would not surprise me at all.

The bottom line...there are many people who can pass a background
check and should not own a firearm.

The shooter from Alabama apparently is one of them.

And three people are dead because of our failure to properly control
responsible gun ownership.

If we cannot properly self police ourselves, society will do it for
us.

TMT