Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default 90 amps for electric car charge!

On Feb 15, 1:15*pm, bud-- wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 15, 1:50 pm, "Rich." wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

Is your garage electric car ready?
Seems these cars can be charged with a regular 15 amp outlet, any 240 volt
outlet (50 amps best), or a 90 amp "4 hour charge" connection...
http://www.teslamotors.com/electric/charging.php
It's a 90A Circuit Breaker. However, the maximum current for the vehicle is
70A, as set by the duty cycle of the Pilot waveform.
At 240v that is 16.8 kw*4 to do a full charge, or 67.2 kw total. At the
national average of $.12 per kw that is about $8 ($.04/mile) for a full
charge to drive those 200 or so miles. This is about 1/3 the cost to drive
an average gas vehicle at 20 MPG and $2.60 per gallon.

And again, this is an example of comparing apples to oranges. * These
electric vehicles are relatively small cars. *And they should be
compared to similar size fuel efficient cars, not the average gas
vehicle. * There are lots of car choices getting 30 city, 45 highway
or better. * *The Toyota Prius gets 51 city 48 highway giving a fuel
cost of about $12. *Here in the northeast with electric at 17c kwh,
and using your above math, the fuel cost on the Prius vs the electric
is a wash here.

But I bet the Prius is a far more drivable vehicle, capable of higher
sustained highway speeds, etc. and doesn't have the obvious drawbacks
for the user that the electric car has.

Interesting choice for comparison since the Prius is a hybrid (partly
electric) car. It is likely to include an option to charge the
(relatively small) battery off the grid in the not-too-distant future.

*From what little I have seen, the Tesla is a sports car - high
acceleration, probably better high speed behavior.

--
bud--- Hide quoted text -

This talk about loads gets one thinking. Since 99% of homes and 100%
of new ones here are electrically heated. And as it happens our island
wide electrical sytem for a population of some half million persons is
not connected to the North American grid.
Any new domestic installations for last 30/40 years or more have
required 200 amp services.
Distribution transformer loadings (with anywhere from 3 to say 8 homes
per transformer in suburban areas) must be installed on some sort of
diversity. My heating won't be on simultaneously with all my
neighbours, eh? I won't be cooking dinner, or taking a shower at
exactly the same time etc. And in fact I will never be using all that
200 amps anyway? But if I were to plug in my 90 amp car
recharger ...................... ! Hmmm!