Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default OT Not DIY Solar Panels

On Feb 16, 3:54*pm, "Vortex4" wrote:
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in messagenews:i9cln55rcg07r22r5748qc9sdf4mlk7kpp@4ax .com...

Vortex4 wrote:

Suggest you learn to do some maths.

Fortunately I am well qualified there.

relax and read this:
http://www.yougen.co.uk/selling-elec...y-to-the-grid/

I am tempted.

I was looking at some of the warranty documents for the actual
panels - the ones "guaranteed to maintain 80% output for 25
years".

Initially it gives you a warm glow, but if it goes badly, they
only cover the cost of the panel, based on the original cost
discounted at x% per year. You seem to be responsible for
removal, testing to prove their reduced performance, and
re-instatement. I guess, unless it is a gross failure early on,
that it is not going to be cost-effective to exercise your
rights.

Looks like metering might also be interesting. If there is no
smart or export meter, which is down to the supplier, or your
pocket, I think they are simply going to "deem" a certain level
of export. Not sure yet who benefits here.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

The PV inverter sits on a dedicated spur and has it's own "approved" meter
on the circuit.

The FiT is based on this reading *ie all you generate whether exported or
not......and I assume after April this meter will be "read" just like the
main one.

In my case I have an old "analog" spinning disc meter as the main meter
which simply registers your net usage. *It even goes backwards when PV
supply exceeds demand. *I'm happy with that.

It seems like a ridiculously expensive way to save the planet. *I have a
much simpler view that it is "cash back" on the immense amount of tax that I
directly and indirectly deliver to the Government. * There aren't many
investments that yield 8% return out there.

No, but for that amount tied up for a few years you can easily get 3
or 4% compounded with guaranteed return of your capital at the end of
the term. Unless you have other reasons, like wanting to be "off
grid", then it's a no brainer, and PV loses every time.

MBQ