Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex4[_2_] Vortex4[_2_] is offline

Default OT Not DIY Solar Panels

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Vortex4 wrote:

Suggest you learn to do some maths.

Fortunately I am well qualified there.

relax and read this:
http://www.yougen.co.uk/selling-elec...y-to-the-grid/

I am tempted.

I was looking at some of the warranty documents for the actual
panels - the ones "guaranteed to maintain 80% output for 25
years".

Initially it gives you a warm glow, but if it goes badly, they
only cover the cost of the panel, based on the original cost
discounted at x% per year. You seem to be responsible for
removal, testing to prove their reduced performance, and
re-instatement. I guess, unless it is a gross failure early on,
that it is not going to be cost-effective to exercise your
rights.

Looks like metering might also be interesting. If there is no
smart or export meter, which is down to the supplier, or your
pocket, I think they are simply going to "deem" a certain level
of export. Not sure yet who benefits here.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

The PV inverter sits on a dedicated spur and has it's own "approved" meter
on the circuit.

The FiT is based on this reading ie all you generate whether exported or
not......and I assume after April this meter will be "read" just like the
main one.

In my case I have an old "analog" spinning disc meter as the main meter
which simply registers your net usage. It even goes backwards when PV
supply exceeds demand. I'm happy with that.

It seems like a ridiculously expensive way to save the planet. I have a
much simpler view that it is "cash back" on the immense amount of tax that I
directly and indirectly deliver to the Government. There aren't many
investments that yield 8% return out there.