Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Lathe chuck spindle attachment

There aren't any multi-part bearing assemblies (roller, ball) in the 6"
Phase II RT that I used, just plain polished (finely ground) steel sufaces
against machined cast iron, with the parts well-oiled with 80 or 90W gear
lube.
Since old lathes could spin hundreds of RPM (with lighter oil), I suppose a
RT could be run fairly fast if it's designed and built well enough.
The table's support surfaces are significantly different than a lathe
spindle as the two machines are designed for different
purposes/applications.

Some RTs are 40:1, others are higher turns per rotation. Worm reductions
typically have slow output speeds although heavy duty models can handle some
serious loads.
If one were inclined, the worm of a RT can be disengaged in many models (or
removed), so the table stem could be driven from the back side or bottom,
depending upon the orienation (of the RT, not the operator).

As long as the RT isn't routinely subjected to the side loads of turning
down diameters, push knurling and other typical lathe operations, a RT may
be suitable (just speculation) for occasional cutting operations similar to
facing cuts on lathes.

If the table's stem support/bearing surfaces wear, the accuracy of the RT is
diminished, so an overhaul may be necessary, possibly requiring boring and a
bushing or sleeve installation.

--
WB

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message

So, it bears further consideration. I guess the next question is "How fast
can you rotate a rotary table?" :-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC