Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default 90 amps for electric car charge!

George wrote:
On 2/15/2010 4:08 PM, Bill wrote:
Well I'm getting out my popcorn to sit back and watch the show in
California
with this. They [California] had a fit with everyone buying those new
TV's
which use a bit more energy. (Overloading the electric grid.) In
California
no one wants any new major electric transmission lines built in their
backyard.

If quite a few people buy these cars in California, it will be
interesting
to see what they do when it places a strain on their electric grid.
Neighborhood nukes?

Or for that matter if there was a concentration of these new cars in one
neighborhood anywhere. Say 3 homes all on the same electric company
transformer. Then all 3 homes get electric vehicles, and they all
recharge
them at 6:00 pm when they get home on a hot summer day, and also have
their
AC and everything else going full blast???

Neighborhood Nuclear Power...
http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/about.html

Aren't you assuming worst case? I think a lot of diversity will be
involved. Many would likely just use a longer term lower current draw
charge.

And a lot more people would be going to off peak rates so they don't
start to recharge until people are going to bed.