Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default What final grit of sandpaper for paint-grade projects?

On 2/15/2010 12:00 PM, Robatoy wrote:

When commissioned to build something 'cherry'... what you see is
cherry what you don't see is poplar. What I like about it is that it
is cheap, very stable in the long run, and as you mentioned, it holds
an edge very well. It grows fast enough so it is almost a renewable
source as well. The big deal about poplar is that very wide boards are
readily available and seldom create any cupping issues, all the way up
to 14'- 16" wide. The wide boards do tend to check during kiln drying,
but that's no biggie. Stuff holds a screw rather well too. Pretty? No.
Useful? You betcha!
When used as a paintable 5-piece kitchen cabinet door, there is no
equal in a quality, stable door.

Here's a poplar "prototype" chair I made a few years back, stained with
gel stain, and sprayed with amber shellac, it is has gorgeous grain in
real life:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CrftsManCh18.JPG

One of the most beautiful "walnut" sideboards I ever saw was all poplar.
Some of the most beautiful "cherry" cabinets I've seen were birch.

There's magic in some of those cans, in the right hands ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08