Posted to alt.home.repair
WW[_2_] WW[_2_] is offline

Default Trap Door from living room into basement

"caledongrl" wrote in message
Hi, I have been searching all over the internet to find a design for a
trap door. My basement/crawlspace is only 5'10" high. I was not
allowed by the township to have a full basement ( I live in a very
highly regulated area) I do want to use the area as storage, also my
hydro and water heater etc is located in this space. I need to have a
trap door made for access to this area. I do not want to use one of
the metal versions. The opening is approx. 3 feet wide, by 4 feet
long. It is located in the living room. I would put in the trap door
and likely cover with an area rug. I need to make it recessed ie. the
hinges, handle etc. The ideal situation would be to have it carpeted
on top like the rest of the living room...however, I think that may be
a bit complicated, so will live with a nice wood version...ie. pine or
something like that - nicely finished.

My question is...does anyone know of a site that will show how to
build such a thing or pictures of trap doors that I can get some ideas
from?

Thanks
Janet

I built one like that. Lined the opening with 2x4's screwed to the floor
joists. These were set down the distance of the finished door so it was
flush. Made it match the flooring. Used a recessed lift up handle to lift
the door. It was around ring type that recessed flat. Hope this helps you.
WW