Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dealing with saw dust while hand sanding

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:57:27 -0500, the infamous Phisherman
scrawled the following:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:11:59 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

I recently completed a cherry headboard for a queen bed. After listening to
Bill Bush at a local woodworking show, I have become a fan of hand sanding
rather than using a random orbital sander with dust removal. The headboard
came out great but the sawdust was a real mess. The headboard was too big
for any downdraft table. All I could do was wear a good mask and then clean
up the very fine dust which had drifted all over the place. Is there some
way I could have used my Jet dust collector to help out? I have read very
mixed reviews of the dust collectors that hang from the ceiling.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dick

For something that large, you can work in front of a window with a fan
in it. It will help pull the dust away from you to the outside. Or
you can work outside. Okay, maybe not too practical in winter...

I made a downdraft table on wheels that pulls air thru three furnace
filters. I used a furnace squirrel cage 1/4 HP blower, has two
speeds. It will clear the shop of a lot of airborne dust. All
woodworkers know there is no substitute for a good dust mask.

And that there's not really any such thing as a good dust mask. They
all leak. Use a N100 half-mask respirator. ($20 at HF from AO Safety)
or a SCBA full-face supplied-air system. ($$$)

Also, you can use a wide floor sweep attachment to the DC hose. That
would involve moving/re-clamping the floor sweep from time to time.

Yeah, they work pretty well.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan