Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scary Sharp Strop

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:35:14 -0800, "Nonny" wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:07:04 -0500, the infamous Bill
scrawled the following:

I've ordered Silicon Carbide paper to 2000 grit
and have a flat slab of granite.

Remember that how you apply the glue will determine the actual
flatness of the surface for your ScarySharp(tm) setup. The only
spray
glue I found which wouldn't leave lumps in my NoteSHADES(tm) was
3M's
Super 77. All others hardened and lumped horribly. Super 77
stayed
liquid until the fabric was laid and pressed.

I have some left-over questions concerning "Scary Sharp".
Is using a leather "strop" an important part of the
"scary sharp" sharpening technique?

Not if you go to super-fine stones (4000, 8000.) I found a
strop much
more satisfying and a whole lot cheaper. I've used it for
resharpening
my razor blades, too. I could make another one for my exactos,
but the
1200 diamond paddle works well enough.

Will the inside
of old wide leather belt (resting on the granite) work
for this? Any other compound suggested/required?

Lee Valley green compound is my favorite.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...84&cat=1,43072

I can "roughen-up" the leather if that may help.

I used the -smooth- side of a strip of thick, chrome-tanned
leather I
got. I made a strop out of a stick of plywood and the leather,
glued
together. The leather is about 1-1/2" x 12".
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43072&p=32999

Is leather somehow an important component of a strop, or could
wood or even glass be used as the holder for the compound?

Compound may help, but leather alone does a fine polishing job. Try
it for yourself.