Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Would adding a 5 or 10 gallon portable tank to my compressor behelpful?

On Feb 14, 3:52*am, blueman wrote:
I have a $99 (on-sale) Harbor Freight 10 gallon compressor that I have

I would suggest adding storage in parallel rather than in a serial
fashion. The cycle up time will be longer the first time it loads up
- by a factor related to the capacity added.

Once the pressure reaches the cut-off point, the recycle times should
be about equivalent in that,the machine is programmed to come back on
when the pressure drops below a predetermined value.

If you put your pressure regulator at teh end of the tanks, before the
connector for the "work" hose as it is now, the pressure "out" will
not change. If the fittings are not enlarged and the hose diameter
stays the same,the volume will not change at a given PSI setting.

What will change, is the total volume of captured air that can be
dispensed, albeit at a diminishing pressure as the pump attempts to
maintain the pressure and volume in the 'tank' (now three)

As one writer put it, the volume of air "out" is a function of the
size of the pump and the HP applied to it. {Pressure is significantly
increased using a two-stage pump as opposed to a single-stage pump)

Having said all this, I suspect there are smarter folks than I would
have been paid to determine the optimum ratio if pump to tank and have
shared these calculations the world over. And, I suspect, the Chinese
have long since translated and adopted them to produce an efficient
pump/tank combination for HFT and the like.

But, having said all this, I too must admit being intrigued by the
idea that adding tank capacity to my little Porter Cble Pancaker might
offer some benefit worth the thirty-odd dollar expense.

Carefully record and report back with your results!