Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Epoxy experts.....runny mess.

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
. 3.70:

"Royston Vasey" fired this volley in
. au:

I'm trying to seal a printed circuit board into a PVC part I've
turned out on my lathe. The problem I'm having is the that the epoxy
goes quite runny as it goes through its curing process and some of it
runs through small gaps ( 0.5mm) where I'd prefer it didn't.

Has anyone played around with this type of problem?

Yep. If you cannot seal the gaps (don't understand why you can't --
or is it just too much trouble to do?), then you'll need to add a
thixotrope to the epoxy. Stirring will thin the material for pouring
(thixotropic == "shear thinning"). Remaining still will cause it to
thicken; the time-to-thicken and the degree of thickening are
determined by the nature of the thixotrope and how much you add.

We use Hysol (now part of Loctite) 1C epoxy, which has thixotrope mixed
in (http://www.tedpella.com/technote_html/891-60%20TN.pdf) when we don't
want it to flow. McMaster carries it, part #1813A221. It takes a while
to cure, but it's very strong.

Also, very few epoxies will stick well to PVC unless you clean the
surface with a good solvent to remove the oily monomers. They sell
special primers that worke very well, but the solvents are really nasty.

Doug White