RichardS

Default Core drills

"David Hearn" wrote in message
I want to put a clean hole through a cavity wall which has render on the
outside (and tiles on the inside!) for a tumble drier outlet as having the
window open whilst drying is making the kitchen very cold at this time of
year.

I guess a core drill would be the way to go (as opposed to drilling,
chipping out bits of brick manually). I've a basic 500w mains drill which

think may not be enough for this sort of thing (or am I wrong). Also, the
cost of the core drills are quite expensive. So - I thought about hiring
one. Quick look on HSS's website says £38 + VAT for a day's hire (or

£47.50
+ VAT for a weekend). This seems quite expensive for what should
(hopefully) be less than 30 minutes use.

So - any other suggestions/ideas? Anywhere I may hire this cheaper from?
Are there cheap core drills out there which I may be able to use my 500w
drill to do just one single job and then throw (the core drill) away?

Is it possible to make a neat hole through render for this purpose without
using a core drill? I'm happy to do it manually just drilling and

chipping
away at bricks - but I don't want to damage the render by doing this.

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my

email
address.

If you have any local independent hire shops then give them a call.

My local pretty much always beats HSS prices (they were set up by
disgruntled ex-HSS'ers, as I suspect a few of these outlets are).

When I drilled a couple of 6" holes through the wall I used a TCT core bit
and their Hilti TE24 drill - cost was something like £10 for the drill, £3
for the transformer and £4 for the core bit for the day (plus VAT).

Compared to your average percussion or SDS drill this thing is a bit of a
beast. If you hire one check before leaving the shop that the front handle
grips the collar securely - I had one that didn't and it almost threw me off
the work surface when the bit jammed and the collar slipped.

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson