Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default new slate roof goes "snap, crackle pop" in the cold

On Feb 15, 9:50*am, " wrote:
MY whole roof replaced on a chapel conversion (slates, battens,
breather) on original joists, 18 months ago - yes, mine did that too
for the first 6 months, less so now Nighttime after a very hot sunny
day would do it too.

AFAICT it's just settling, and does diminish after a few months. In
fact with mine it was like a little wave of tinkling sounds running
back and forth across the roof.

I wonder if it's ice freezing the slates together but then cracking as
further cold makes everything contract and move a little. I can't
think that just shrinkage would make such pronounced "crack" sounds.
Nothing structural seems to be moving. At first I was worried it was
frost heave moving the walls about but it doesn't seem to be.

The roof pitch is very shallow (16 degrees) and this might encourage
water to get held between the slates I suppose.

I do hope it stops after a while! The room is unusable for sleeping.

Robert